top of page


At Darwen Vale we endeavour to provide our students with skills and experiences that will equip them for their lives ahead. Our careers provision starts right from day one in Year 7 and continues up to and beyond students’ last day in Year 11. We work in partnership with many stakeholders to offer a meaningful provision and are always looking to add to these partners. If you would like to support us please get in touch with Mr Miele the Careers Lead by e-mail or telephone 01254 223 000.

We have regular careers activities during form times where students can explore the opportunities open to them. We hold Careers Events where we invite all local Post-16 providers, training organisations as well as local and national organisations, in for students to talk to so that the message about Post 16 opportunities comes from the people that will be delivering it. Our students take part in career orientated workshops delivered by local employers and colleges. These sessions help to inspire and motivate students which in turn helps to increase aspirations.

Every student is given the opportunity to sample college events prior to deciding which Post-16 provider to apply for. This helps to ensure that students make the right choice for them based on courses, grades and the overall feel of the place.

All our students go through 1 to 1 interviews with people from outside of our school to help them prepare for the life choices they will make about their Post 16 education. This not only helps focus students to make the right choice for them, but also allows students to experience and practice interview techniques before they enter the world of work.

We have staff on hand at all times to offer help and advice about Post-16 providers, apprenticeships and careers. We help students make the choice that suits them best, prepare and take them through the whole application process.

We seek to make pupils aware of how THEY are responsible for their own futures and it is their responsibility to ensure they take advantage of the REAL opportunities that are available to them in school. We strive to create as many opportunities as we can for all of our students and we are able to do this because our links with local Post-16 providers and businesses are strong, and we regularly run trips and visits to enrich student’s experiences relating to careers and their future. We ensure students have the skills that make them “life ready” and are fully prepared for life after school.

Destination data for the cohort 2021/2022 is collated during the Autumn term and published in the Spring term. Of this cohort 100% of students went into further education or training. 0% of the cohort were Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) which is far lower than the National Average of 4.5%.


Out of a total of 132 students, 117 (88.6%) progressed to Full time education. 12 (9%) students went onto an apprenticeship. 2 (1.5%) went into full time employment, 1 temporary break from education. 5 students were SEND, all went to Full time education and make up that 117 of full time education. 3 are studying a Level 1 qualification, 2 are studying a Level 2 qualification.  

Of the 117 students progressing to Full time education, 58% are studying Level 3, 23% Level 2 and 14.% Level 1. 


The school measures and assesses the impact of careers programmes on students by conducting student and parent surveys. We assess our progress towards achieving 100% in all 8 Gatsby Benchmarks which are ratified by our Enterprise Co-Ordinator from Inspira. We monitor the short-term NEET figure given by the Local Authority in February of each year which has been in line or below National Average for the last 5 years. 

The school reviews the NEET data published by the Local Authority in February of each year as soon as it is published. This relates to the most recent cohort of leavers. The DFE published data giving a more longer-term picture is typically published in October and then revised in January. The most recent long-term data available is for the 2020 cohort which 84% stayed in the same education or employment for at least 2 terms after KS4. This was published February 2023. (Students that swap destinations, for example change college or course, make up part of the other 16%) 


For our information Future U privacy notice  please see our Policies & Documents page.

Helpful Videos